Sunday, January 3, 2010

starbucks macarons?


I recently read on Paris Breakfasts, my favorite blog, about the new "french macaroons" at Starbucks! She has much more experience than me in the legit macaron department, so I trust her judgement. She said that they were too sweet, and were sold at about 3,500 Starbucks stores. With a Starbucks on every corner, I figured I would never find them. The very next day I saw them at a store on Stuart St. in Boston! They come in a box of 12 mini macs with a variety of classic flavors: chocolate, vanilla, coffee, raspberry, lemon, and pistachio.

Apologies that I ate some before taking the picture :)

They are all adorable. The chocolate one had a much more even and chocolatey color than my little speckled ones. I found that it was dense in the middle, like a piece of chocolate cake, and I had a hard time distinguishing the filling from the cookie. Perhaps not being as fresh caused the textural difference.

They were a little too sweet, and the filling was... lacking (but mine is not perfect either, so I can't really judge).
If you can't get to Paris, Japan, LA, or New York City; can't find someone to get them for you, and have little success in the kitchen, these might be worth trying. Keep in mind that they are not exactly the best example of a perfect macaron.
When things are mass-produced, they are just not as good.

xoxo,
allie

No comments:

Post a Comment