Tuesday, December 22, 2009

passion fruit chocolate.


Today I am developing my own recipe for passion fruit chocolate macarons. Since a trip to Hawaii, my family has been in love with the "deliciously sour" distinctive flavor of passion fruit. It would be perfectly accented by the creamy nuttiness of dark chocolate.

To start out, beat the eggs and sugar as usual, but instead of vanilla extract, add a teaspoon of passion fruit concentrate. I got mine from my dad's friend who has a restaurant, but I am sure you can get it online. The directions say to add sugar and water, but there is already enough sugar, and we don't want to dilute the flavor in the batter. We will also add a small bit of red and yellow food coloring.


Then add almond flour and powdered sugar as usual. The adorable measuring cups are courtesy of my sister. Also, we got a new sifter! Mix the ingredients and do the macaronnage. Then pipe the batter onto baking sheets line with parchment or silpats. The batter was a little runny, but breaking them apart should not be a problem. With a small strainer, dust cocoa powder on the cookies before they dry.


As always, heat the oven to 375 and bake the macarons for 15 minutes once they have developed a crust. They look pretty fabulous, if I do say so myself. I tried to make a chocolate passion fruit ganache, but it was difficult and frustrating. I will work on the recipe before posting it here.

xoxo,
allie

No comments:

Post a Comment